Rated 5 out of 5 by Transdod2 The course to play in Puerto Rico
Vacationing ten days in PR my girl and I played golf every other day while staying in San Juan. We would look for the off season deals on Golf Now which is highly advisable. We ranked Bahia, Dorado East(too expensive), Trump, then Rio Mar (best price) in order of best to least course condition. Bahia is the lush we expected from the Dorado & Trump. Fairways great condition although narrow for our game on some holes. Beautiful layout and true roll on putting greens. Sand somewhat firm as expected from previous reviews. Ocean view on 16 & 18. Staff very cordial and helpful. Highly recommend for your island golf experience.
August 25, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by Andrew2404832 Everything's good or better at Bahia Beach
I will always play BB every chance I get. It's that good an experience. I"m not wealthy, so I play when I can get a discounted rate.
Course conditions, layout, aesthetics, location, etc. are all well above-par, which in this context is a good thing!
But let me dwell on what I think can be improved.
1. Ball washers should have water in them. Too many of them were dry.
2. The tee markers should be placed where they'll fairly reflect the particular tees on the scorecard. The course played much shorter from where they placed the tee markers compared to what the scorecard showed for those particular tee markers. If I want to play 6313 yards (more or less) - the Gold markers - don't move the Golds so far forward that I'm effectively playing the Silvers, for example.
3. The greenside bunkers need sand. The two of us were in 5 of them, and they were all nothing but hard-packed dirt.
4. Unless I'm suddenly hitting my irons longer than usual, they may need to re-calibrate their GPS settings. Several times I overclubbed by at least one club (and not because I skulled the shot).
5. Rangering would be nice. We were a twosome being held up by a threesome. And we were holding up a foursome because of it. The foursome complained to a course employee (a pseudo-ranger?) which we overheard, but the pseudo-ranger never came to discuss it with us, perhaps because he knew WE were being held up by the group in front of us. What he SHOULD have done is told the threesome to step aside so we (and our following foursome) could play through. Mind you this is a deficiency of virtually EVERY golf course on the planet, and it's one of the leading causes of the scourge of golf, slow play or slow pace of play. Aggressive rangering would be nice.
Anyway, I could write twice as much positive stuff. I love the course. But I thought it might be more helpful to share what I think are its shortcomings, in hopes that they'll be considered.
May 24, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by ziggy328 A Great day of golf that will be hard to beat
Would go back in a heart-beat. The course and the views were just amazing. I hope to get back there again
March 9, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by u000001120654 Exceptional Experience
Everything about this place was great. From the moment you drive in you can tell that they care about quality. Grounds are well maintained, staff is helpful and friendly. The golf course was in great condition (best of the 4 we played in PR). The layout was challenging but fair, greens in good condition and could play the ball down in the fairway.
Definitely worth the visit. Only downside is turning the 17th hole from a nice par 5 into a too tough par 4.
March 1, 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by pablo4431831 Course was nice...
The amenities of the golf course we're great, the cost wasn't worth it. I've played Trump international and champion course and they have better views from the course and more challenging for the money. Bahia needs to have more challenging holes I didn't expect what I played especially for how much it costs
December 27, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by REWiggall Nice course, beautiful area, pretty wildlife and forest
The course and practice facility were in good condition. It was fair with a reasonable amount of challenge. Greens were in good condition and rolled well. Holes were laid out well and pleasing to the eye. Plenty of water and hazard area if you got much outside the fairway, but it was generally visible from where you were or on the GPS. The GPS was accurate and well done. The only bad thing was it also controlled the cart and you may have to back out of an area if you got too far outside the lines. There were two holes being affected by construction or repairs, one had a temporary green. For $200 I would have expected notification of the temporary green and possibly a slight discount. That was the only downside to the course. Staff was friendly and helpful. Food at the snack bar was good. A fun time!
July 4, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by JasonDeeganGA Puerto Rico's country club experience
For pure enjoyment, Bahia Beach might be the best golf experience on the island. It’s got as much swankiness – if not more – than the 36-hole Trump International Golf Club next door. Bahia Beach doesn’t bombard you with blind shots like Royal Isabela. There's always a bailout, or an easier way, at Bahia Beach. Golfers who want to take on the water that seems to be everywhere at Bahia Beach can do so at their own peril. Two of its most scenic holes, the beachfront par-5 at no. 16 and par-3 at no. 17, are being altered this summer, reopening in August. It remains to be seen if these changes will ultimately enhance, or detract, from the routing.
March 9, 2014