Gray Eagle Golf Club & Academy
We had a great time!
My brother and I wanted to get out and play a new course to us on probably the last 'good weather' day of the Fall. We really enjoyed the colors as it is a beautiful course. We joined the pair following us on the back. Sure helps having local expertise on avoiding trouble! We had a great time and will definitely come back in the Spring!
October 28, 2014
Good weather and course conditions made for a good day of golf. Only headache was battling leaves on fairways.
October 28, 2014
A Fall Day
We caught Gray EAgle on a very nice fall day --sunny and temperature in the 60's. The course is playing very well for this time of year. The greens were a little hard and would not hold and the putting surface very fast. But othrewise the course is in good shape and a good value
October 19, 2014
Just about right for $19
With such a nice layout, Gray Eagle could be an excellent venue. The problem is either course greens keepers or management don't seem to care. I've played this course nearly 50 times over the past 8 years, only because I live fairly close by. While the course shape is better this year than in the past 4-5, I'll bet it's more to do with our cooler/wetter summer than course management taking better care of the facility.
The only reason I played yesterday was because of the GolfNow green fee of $19. It is not worth more than $20 on any given day. I shot a 93. The reasons are plentiful.
1. The greens do not roll true from hole to hole. There are numerous holes, marks, brown spots and Cicada Killer burrows on three holes on the back nine.
2. The bunkers are not sand. They are dirt or hard pan. It is not a test of golf skill but luck to get out of them with a decent putt opportunity.
3. The course uses little flags positioned up and down the pin to determine pin location. They also have a pin position number noted on each hole on the scorecard. The pin position number is not accurate. I suspect they select a pin position number for the day, but the greens maintenance team do not adhere to this when setting up the holes.
4. Yardage markers are non-existent on the tee boxes and barely existent on each hole. Without a range finder or gps you will have no idea your distance on any shot.
5. Tee boxes are shredded and uneven. Good luck finding an small area to place your tee let alone stand without being in a hole or on slanted ground.
Although not a regular experience, one other thing happened yesterday that I am compelled to mention. I pre-paid for a 3-some at a great rate through GolfNow. It turned out that one of my 3 could not make it. I asked the man who checked me in to give this paid round to the next single who came in and ask him/her to join us if interested. While we were on the first tee getting warmed up a single showed up. I asked if he got his round for free. He said he did not. I believe Gray Eagle chose to charge him the regular rate rather than meet my request to increase some daily green fee take in. Rather unsporty if you ask me.
I don't typically write reviews, and certainly not ones of this length. I only do so in hopes that the pro or management at Gray Eagle will see this and start to rethink their strategy to attract golfers. There are far too many courses in the area, and they're philosophy is not working.
September 26, 2014
This course is great. Instead of telling you actual yardage they let you guess. What a cool feature. Who knows how far out you are, let's just hit a club and see what happens. No distance markers, always in terrible condition.
September 24, 2014
Great Condition Following Rain
We played Gray Eagle after significant rains. I felt the course and especially the greens were in tremendous shape. I typically don't provide reviews but Gray Eagle deserves accolades this time. We did play 18 and I did not have food so the review should be N/A in that regard. I shot 39-39 and I attribute that to great greens that rolled true and really great fairways that gave you nice lies almost 100% of the time. It was a Hot Deal at an exceptional price and the gentleman that set us up was very polite and welcoming. This was probably my best trip to Gray Eagle and one of the best playing locations all year.
September 18, 2014
Played twighlight and had no pressure on pace. Fun quick outing.
September 17, 2014
Decent course for Hamilton County
There are a lot of courses in the Hamilton County area. I play this one about once every few years. It has some challenging holes. The downside is what they charge for green fees. A little pricey for what you get. It is strictly location driven.
September 15, 2014